Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Part of a Balanced Breakfast



Today is my last day before going back to teaching high school so me and my long-term summer fling went on a hike through Stinson Beach. For a seven mile, strenuous hike, you gotta have a filling breakfast. Not anything too greasy though or it'll slow you down. I woke up and remembered a breakfast that I had years ago at the Fenn lodge outside of Vancouver in Canada. Perfectly scrambled eggs (see the eggs post) served as a side dish to grainy, but moist apple pancakes. We stayed three nights and I went to bed each night with dreams of this combo dancing through my head.
There's no secret, just follow the directions on the package of Arrowhead Mills Buttermilk Pancake and Waffle Mix and just before cooking, mix in some grated Granny Smith apples (skins on). In Canada we marinated the cakes with real maple syrup of course, but I love Trader Joe's Organic Agave Maple Syrup. Protein, carbs, a little fat but not too much, sweet, salty.... the perfect fuel for an end of summer hurrah.

No comments:

Post a Comment